Monday, April 27, 2015

Diabetes and the Adjustment

On the last blog page "The Challenge of Diabetes" we ended with the fact that I had gone to the fire station because I could not get my glucometer to work right, well neither could the gentleman that was helping me. When he decided to use the glucometer they keep in the office.

The reading that he got was 484.

I couldn't believe my eyes looking at a 484 reading. The man suggested that I go to the hospital right away to get that blood sugar lowered. I still really didn't want to go to the hospital, but decided to go because I didn't want to have a stroke or maybe something worse. I ended up going to Florida Hospital Altamonte and checking in in the emergency department.

I found that my blood pressure was also slightly elevated, but my blood sugar had come down a little. After about a 1/2 hour they called me to go back to a room and hooked me u with saline and proceeded to check my blood sugar again which had dropped from 484 to about 467. The saline was finished then the nurse came in and stated that they are going to give me 9 units of Humalog fast acting insulin which she did. After approx an hour and 20 min, after having spoken to the Dr. about me staying overnight for observation I was moved upstairs to a room. A nurse came in and introduced himself and took my blood sugar which was still in the high 200. He then said that he would wait the rest of the 2 hours to see where we where. He came back almost on the nose of 40 minutes and checked my blood sugar again which had dropped to 125. I didn't have to take a shot and was happy about that.

The next day Sunday the 12th, 2015, after much diabetic information being given to me I was discharged approximately 1:30 pm. I went and picked up my medications and new glucometer and went home and began researching all I could about diabetes. My fears about not being able to eat all the foods that I had gotten accustomed to where now somehow bad.

Now I had to watch my sugars, carbohydrates and even fruit. My mind was spinning with all the changes that I would have to make. With these thoughts in mind I set out to beat this disease and not be overcome with a poor me attitude. I found the following video in my research.

No comments:

Post a Comment